Friday, May 21, 2010

"I Am Abomination - To Our Forefathers" (2010)

I Am Abomination is a progressive/hardcore band from Michigan; "To Our Forefathers" being their second studio album. I just picked up this album when I was browsing for new music, and when I got around to listening to it, I was pleasantly surprised.

On first listen, I was instantly hooked by the mixture of speedy technical riffs, and 80's hair metal-esque guitar solos coupled with powerful, clean singing. This album starts with arguably the best song on the album. "Since 1776" has the perfect mix of complex and simple riffs, catchy hooks and harmonious melody. As the album progresses it is very enjoyable, but not necessarily memorable. Songs that stuck out for me were "Rock N' No Soul" with it's explosive guitar solo melded with a gothic sounding symphony in the background, and "Creatures Of The Night" with it's ridiculously catchy opening riff and all around "epic" feeling. The guitars were interesting and drums weren't too exciting, but they kept my interest. This album is a catchy, accessible, and is all around well written. Personally, I wouldn't say that this is a very memorable album, but absolutely worth a listen. ALSO; this album's lack of agressive vocals and experimental style make this an album that you can expect to appeal to a larger crowd then then your obligatory underground band that you love that nobody has heard of. (Which we all should have.)

Overall: 7/10 Good
This band has quite a grasp on melody and their riffage is impressive to say the least. The main downfall of this album is at times it feels very overproduced. I was very satisfied with the tone of the guitar, but the vocals at times achieved 'melodramatic popular song' status. I would recommend this to fans of bands like The Human Abstract, Dream Theater and I would even go as far as Protest The Hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment